GOOD ENOUGH

 


As much as I strive for perfection, during this process of learning much harder vegan cooking and baking, I have had to let go of my desire for perfection. I had to learn to fail and be graceful about it. Since my cooking and baking gets posted on social media, I choose to put not just the successes but the failures up on social media.

This has made me have to look at my desire for perfection. While I am learning, I am going to fail many times. I had cookies that turned out flat as a pancake, pancakes that didn't flip, and pie crusts that didn't bake all the way. I feel that these failures make me a better chef. I learn each time. I learned that my oven (old and temper mental) needs to be watched and adjusted when baking. I learned that my skills at flipping pancakes can be improved. I learned that when learning something new it is best not to make too many of one thing but to start out with one and see how it goes. These are all lessons that need to be learned by doing. 

On some of my social media posts you will see I say, it is "good enough". I learned that sometimes "good enough" is enough. We all see these amazing posts and photos and think we need to make our posts just as wonderful. We don't need to compete. Whatever is good enough for me or you is "good enough". Today my photo and hot cocoa with the makeshift frothed milk was "good enough".  I don't own a milk frother so I did the best I could. Just good enough. 

I have been so lucky to have taken this vegan cooking course and had the time to learn how to cook such interesting food. It has opened my horizons on what I can become. I learned that I love baking and I love making chocolate treats. I have a far way to go but isn't learning part of the fun? Letting go of the need for perfection while learning has been the biggest lesson for me. I can strive for perfection once I learn and practice. Being easier on myself has been a journey. Sometimes that is good enough. 🙏

Walk on Sunshine. 

Comments