HOMETOWN PCT WALK #6 GOAL MET

My goal for the 6th stop on the Pacific Crest Trail was Saddle Junction (Devil's Slide - Idlylwild). This stop was 179.66 miles. 

This section started at Highway 74 near Paradise Valley Cafe. Right away it is mountainous terrain and water is an issue. The trail goes up to 10,800 miles above sea level.  The terrain moved from dessert to pine forest and mountains. There are two different paths to take to make your way through to Saddle Jct. The path to Apache Spring yielded some much-needed water.  It got up to 8,000 feet and in the winter months this can get very dangerous with snow and ice. One hiker has even died when he slipped and fell over the cliff. 

 Idlylwild is about 5 miles away through Devil's Slide. Once you get through that, there is a lovely mountain town with lots of places to stock up on provisions, book a cabin, take a shower, wash clothes, eat some food, watch a movie, and just relax with other people. 

This section of the PCT was 27.5 miles. As my followers know I am obviously not on the PCT trail. I am walking in my hometown. I am working toward walking the same distance in my own neighborhood. I was walking many miles a day in the beginning but ran into a few roadblocks: my health condition, COVID vaccinations, and foot and knee injuries. I have rheumatoid arthritis and that slows me down. Each COVID vaccine has slowed me down since my recovery time from the vaccine is slow due to my RA. I have been plagued by foot and knee injuries since I started this project. I am not letting these things stop me. I am just taking longer to finish. Stick with me!

The next destination is mile 209.5 at Interstate 10 in Cabazon. That is 30.1 miles more!

Walk in Sunshine!

Comments