POSSIBLE DIAGNOSIS

 Trigger alert: If you don't like to hear about medical situations, stop reading now. 

I have put off writing this post because it has been a tough few weeks. Here is what happened:

In December I thought I had a UTI so I called my doctor to get antibiotics. I ended up not taking them because it was not a UTI. I have had UTIs over the years so I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward to February when I thought I had a UTI again and I took the antibiotics from December.  Three weeks later I felt like the UTI was coming back only this time with a vengeance. By day three I was peeing over 50 times a day and had pain in my stomach and back. I thought I had a kidney infection but it was a weekend so I went to the ER. 

During the eight hours in the ER, I had tests done on my urine, blood and a CT scan (that I insisted on). I did not have a UTI or a kidney infection. The doctor only did the fast urine test and not a urine culture that takes 48 hours. He gave me stronger antibiotics thinking I may have a UTI even though the test was negative. Personally, I think he didn't know what to do and (typically) sent me (a woman) home with medicine to shut me up. 

After taking the antibiotics for four out of the seven days, I realized they were not working because I was not even remotely feeling better. I decided a Plan B was necessary. I called my Ob/Gyn and made an appointment with the Physicians Assistant (PA). That appointment netted more information. I was tested once again for a UTI and yet again I did not have one. The PA came up with a plan: if I did not have a UTI, I may have interstitial cystitis. 

When I was around 20 years old, I was told by a doctor that I had interstitial cystitis and to stop drinking coffee, soda and caffeine. I stopped and until recently I didn't drink caffeine. During Covid I started drinking a cup of caffeinated tea and recently I started drinking green tea because I thought it was better for me.

When the UTI came up negative, I was told to start an elimination diet for interstitial cystitis (IC). If I felt better on the diet, then I may have IC. Seems that I have an autoimmune disease that has a direct connection with IC so the possibility is greater that I may have it. I have been on the elimination diet for two weeks now and I feel better. Now the question is is it because I am eating only things on the diet or is it coincidence? I guess when I eat more things on the NO list of the diet, I will find out. I have not ventured onto the no list yet. I even made chocolates yesterday and today and I didn't eat one candy. I don't want to feel bad and have to take chocolate off the list. I am going to wait until I feel better to try chocolate.

I have been trying a new item on the MAYBE list every three days to see if I can handle it. By handle it, I mean if the pains in my abdomen and side return and if I start to pee more frequently again. So far the only thing that has caused me problems is tea. All kinds of tea. I hope that since that was the first thing I tried, I can try herbal again and it will be fine. I miss my cup of tea in the morning and on cold nights.

At first I was down about losing my ability to eat what I want but I am over that now. I see I can still make delicious food. Getting to use soy sauce is huge for me. Now I can marinate some tofu. Plain tofu is not as tasty as you think. 

Each few days I will add another item and my dinner increases with the items I can use. It is like getting a food gift. That is my story. I will update you as information rolls in.

Walk in Sunshine!

Comments